Michel Lawrence has been a journalist (The Australian), a band manager (The Bushwackers) an advertising executive (J.Walter Thompson) and more recently a video writer/director.
To CONTACT Michel Lawrence : firstname.lastname@example.org
Michel has also continued his parallel career in photography, most recently with the All of Us project, culminating in a large format book with a major installation at Melbourne’s Federation Square, launched by the Victorian Premier, John Brumby for Australia Day 2008.
All of Us by Michel Lawrence was exhibited at Federation Square Melbourne before travelling across India.
A subsequent project, Indian Aussies was commissioned by the Department of Foreign Affairs and is currently still touring India after its launch in New Delhi 18 months ago.
Click to View- All of Us: 7.30 Report
His work is represented in various private and public collections, most notably the National Portrait Gallery in Canberra, The National Library in Canberra, The Queensland Art Gallery, The Museum of Modern Art at Heide, Melbourne University and a various regional galleries.
A large collection of his photographs of musicians, actors and performing artists is also in the permanent collection of the Melbourne Performing Arts Museum.
An early band shot, this one of Nick Cave and The Boys Next Door in the collections of the Performing Arts Museum and the National Portrait Gallery. Portrait of Nick Cave by Michel Lawrence.
Michel has also produced three large format photographic books:
- Remarkable. Australia’s National Living Treasures.
- Written by Melinda Williams and Photography by Michel Lawrence. Published by Thames and Hudson
- ‘The Best Books of 2018’ Australian Financial Review Magazine – Summer edition..
- Framed: Portraits of Australian Painters
- Written and Photographed by Michel Lawrence. With an introduction by Janet Hawley. Designed by James Woollett
- Published by Hardie Grant in 1998 and is now out of print
- All of Us: Written and Photographed by Michel Lawrence
- Published by Scribe Books in 2008 and is also now out of print
Michel Lawrence’s photography has also been reproduced in major metropolitan newspapers and magazines such as The Australian, The Age/Sydney Morning Herald, the Herald Sun, Good Weekend and Harpers Bazaar.
You can contact Michel by email: email@example.com
Or by ordinary, old-fashioned mail: 263/45 Glenferrie Rd Malvern 3144, VIC. Australia